Gloria Ferris

one woman’s view from a place by the zoo in the city

Thank You Merci Danke Schoen Muchas Gracias

with 17 comments

Many of you know that last November began a a very long and scary adventure for my family, friends, and me. Some of you don’t know the details but know I haven’t been around much any more.  Today, I got clearance for Cardio Rehab and I believe that it is safe to say that I am out of the woods and on a long trek back.  It is time to begin the story.

Today I will begin the story of the last six months. I have decided to share my experiences at MetroHealth with my wider net of community because, if nothing else, you may see that anything is possible.  Let me say this, I have no answers only the experience itself to illustrate what is possible.  My aunts continue to say “it is a miracle”.  My doctors don’t say they are wrong.  Me, I don’t remember the first 23 days.  Tim tells me it is just as well.  As I learn bits and pieces I can only say I believe him.

On the seventeenth  day of November I traveled to MetroHealth courtesy of Cleveland EMS.  Within minutes, I was there.  Tim says he never saw so much activity, so much determination and focus in one place.  It appears that day I suffered a heart attack. Shortly after, I suffered three strokes.  Somewhere in there are a stent that became clogged calling for three more, two cardiac arrests, and after a talk with my cardiologist about just how dire my situation was, a DNR was put in place.  My friends and family were greatly impressed that my doctor included them in the status report after asking Tim if he wanted to do it or could he?  Roger later heard this same doctor tell a group of interns “this woman is the sickest patient in this 700 bed hospital”.

After they took a CAT scan,  the doctors told Tim and the girls that chances were good that I would never go home again.  There was a great probability that when I left the hospital I would enter a skilled nursing home where I would eventually succumb to pneumonia.  Tim said he wasn’t ready to seal my fate on a few fuzzy pictures of my head.  My doctors agreed.

And this is where my family, my friends, you, and many I have not met or know enter the tale.  Tim had already called people.  The girls, Geri and Teagan were there.  Many of you had already been to see me, to hold my hand, to remind me of all our good times, to thank the nurses and doctors for me because I could not.  Tim asked for help.  He asked for your prayers, your energy, whatever you had to give.  Whatever you did, however you did it, I am here to say it worked.  On December 10, the woman no one expected to live left CCU and moved to the Seventh Floor to begin Stroke Rehab.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Next:  The Beginning of the Long Road Back

Written by Gloria Ferris

June 9th, 2009 at 7:19 pm

17 Responses to 'Thank You Merci Danke Schoen Muchas Gracias'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Thank You Merci Danke Schoen Muchas Gracias'.

1. I don’t know how much I actually asked for–I don’t think I had to–people just showed up. I just cried a lot, kept you company, and acted as host from time to time. It was an incredible and a good experience for all of us, and it was difficult. Everybody stretched. Everybody learned.

Tim Ferris

9 Jun 09 at 8:39 PM

2. So very glad to have you back, Gloria. I’ve missed your take on things!

John Ettorre

10 Jun 09 at 11:32 AM

3. Wonderful to have you back, Gloria.

Wendy Hoke

10 Jun 09 at 11:39 AM

4. Wow- welcome back Gloria!

Carrie

10 Jun 09 at 11:52 AM

5. Wonderful that you came back and are able to write this for us. Sounds nothing short of miraculous.

Anita Campbell

10 Jun 09 at 12:12 PM

6. Gloria it is so good to hear your voice.

I’ve had heart troubles since the 1960s but nothing so dramatic.

It’s a testimony to Tim, your family and friends that you have overcome so much and are doing so well.

I just happen to be reading a book, “MY Stroke of Insight” by Jill Bolte Taylor, who at 37 and a Harvard-trained brain scientist, tells of her having a stroke, realizing what was happening to her and how she dealth with it – knowing what she knew about the brain and how it works.

You are very lucky but you have to be one very tough woman. More power to you.

Roldo Bartimole

10 Jun 09 at 12:22 PM

7. Welcome back Gloria! Sorry to hear of this scary story. All the best.

Eric

10 Jun 09 at 3:16 PM

8. …whew…
    and I thought God didn’t pay attention to what I asked for…
    so glad to read your voice again.

Wendell

10 Jun 09 at 3:51 PM

9. Now that you’re healthy, please try to stay that way. The Elderly Brothers need all the fans they can get!

Bob Rhubart

10 Jun 09 at 3:54 PM

10. I’m so, SO glad that you’re doing better. It’s a scary time for all involved. Welcome back and bless you for getting yourself healthy and hearty again!

Tina Vance

10 Jun 09 at 5:52 PM

11. Citizen Ferris – real NEO needs you… look forward to seeing you soon!

Norm

10 Jun 09 at 7:14 PM

12. Gloria,

It is really nice to hear that you have come through what must have undoubtedly been an extremely scary experience!

Mano Singham

11 Jun 09 at 2:48 PM

13. Gloria it is fabulous to know you are back in the blogosphere it just did not seem right in the world without you here. So glad to hear the word rehab and not operation ! (((hugs)))

carole cohen

12 Jun 09 at 11:35 AM

14. Gloria:

Good to know you are doing well. I was a bit out of the loop myself (without any valid excuse) and so missed your silence but it’s good to know you came through it.

Pho

14 Jun 09 at 11:15 AM

15. Gloria,

Mark and I send you our heartfelt wishes for continued good health and recovery. Thank you for sharing your miraculous story with us. Enjoy the beautiful weather this week.

Christine

15 Jun 09 at 8:57 AM

16. Man, this is almost like old home week for Neo bloggers. The old timers have come out of the woodwork.

John Ettorre

15 Jun 09 at 3:06 PM

17. Gloria, welcome back and it is good to hear you are on the mend. You have all my best wishes and good thoughts!

Anastasia Pantsios