Gloria Ferris

one woman’s view from a place by the zoo in the city

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

with 10 comments

Last month we lost our beloved Oatmeal.  Her time on earth was well spent–chasing squirrels, watching geese fly overhead, dressing up in the latest fashion trends, and very seldom without her sunglasses when Katie was around. Maureen posted a fitting obituary to the dog and Katie left a heartfelt comment, and me, I couldn’t say anything until now.

Our dear Oatie was a rescue dog.  She had the misfortune of being sired by a stolen dog.  Her breeder could not sell the pups nor did she want anyone to know that she had been taken in by a con artist.  She and her siblings were dropped off at the vet’s office with the instructions that they should be disposed off and the bill sent to the owner.

Luckily, one of the vet’s assistants convinced the owner to allow her to try to find homes for the dogs before carrying out the owner’s instructions.  So, Oatmeal came to our house to stay for just the price of shots.  I don’t really know whose dog she was, you know, how pets usually gravitate to one person in a family.  At any one time, you would find her asleep at anyone’s feet or following any one of us from room to room.

But probably she was Katie’s dog because they grew up together. Katie thought her dog looked just like a mantatee.  She was kind of slow and loving and she did have eyes like dark pools of water–yes, a very fitting description of our dog.

She was a mechanical dog.  She loved to watch Tim repair things, watching every move intently.  She opened doors with her front paws.  She closed doors and drawers when they were left open even if you weren’t finished getting whatever you needed.  Although she was a Labrador Retriever and loved to watch the birds overhead, she never liked water. Swimming was not in her vocabulary.  She didn’t even like the rain.  Lucky for her, we weren’t a hunting family.

Katie named her Oatmeal because she was the color of Oatmeal and it was one of the names suggested for Frosty the Snowman in the animated cartoon of the same name. Little did we know at the time that over the years she would become lumpy just like Oatmeal.  There are so many good memories associated with this dog that this post could become a saga,  but the real reason for my post is not only for our dog but for any one who has ever lost a pet.

Our veternarian’s office sent us a sympathy card, but inside the card was the following poem based on a Norse legend.

By the edge of a wood, at the foot of a hill,

is a lush green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

when their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met.

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

the time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

and then, side-by-side,

they cross over. . . .together,

at Rainbow Bridge.

Until we meet again, dear Oatmeal.

Written by Gloria Ferris

November 9th, 2007 at 8:31 pm

Posted in quality of life

10 Responses to 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'.

1. there, you successfully made me cry mom.
    i miss oatmeal…and i miss pj too.
    how nice of the vet’s to send a card. i didn’t know they did that kind of thing. that was a very touching poem.

KT

10 Nov 07 at 2:39 PM

2. This is so touching. Our dogs become part of our families, they ask so little and give us so much love. Oatmeal was a sweet dog and she had such good humans no doubt she is at this moment running happily in dog heaven and looking over you.

Daniella

12 Nov 07 at 8:06 AM

3. Mom! That is so sad! Yes that made me tear up. Oatie was a good doggie and that poem was so nice–I could just picture her. Very nice tribute to Oats–good job.

MO

14 Nov 07 at 10:48 AM

4. ……..just wanted to say what a loving dog “Oats'” must have been. And a very touching poem from the vet. We lost our precious “Saphire” last summer with a call from the vet saying “your dog passed sometime during the night” and was asked to come pick her up. She was given to me in a cardboard box along with the bill in front of a room full of customers who “knew” what was in the box. Being the first dog in my wife’s 48 years, she was devasted by the way it was handled. It is always so sad when we lose a pet so close to us emotionally, that sometimes we just can’t do it again for awhile. We didn’t wait long to get our latest addition to the family, and “Smokie” is doing a good job of replacing the love we had for “Saphire”. I hope you find yourself another “Oats” soon and continue the love affair that you enjoyed for so many years.

muley

20 Nov 07 at 7:13 AM

5. Oh my! How awfully sad. How unfortunate that you had such a devastating experience with the loss of Saphire. I am sure that she is glad that you honored her by bringing another dog into your home. My dad said that we don’t actually “replace” our pets because each is unique but we honor them by saying “job well done” by making us pet lovers forever. i would agree. Wouldn’t you?

Actually, we were fortunate our “replacement’ arrived about two months before “Oats” left us. Lucky is the new guy in town who was around just long enough to learn some tricks from Oatie and now he is there as a comfort to our other dog “P.J.” Tim is the reason that we are never without a dog he says it is because I can’t be without one, but I think he may find it easier to always have a dog.

There is a silence though, isn’t there? Kind of a hole where they once were.

Gloria Ferris

20 Nov 07 at 12:14 PM

6. ……yes Gloria, a big hole. Thank you for sharing, and yes, your Dad was right, you never “replace” a pet who has passed. I am, and always be……a loving pet owner. They bring so much to us.

muley

20 Nov 07 at 2:53 PM

7. ……..Oh, BTW we met this summer at Bloggapalooza, I was with Scott before and after his band played at the Beachland Ballroom.

muley

20 Nov 07 at 2:56 PM

8. I know it was a pleasure to meet you and Henery Hawk in person. So good to know that Scott wasn’t blogging as alter egos. Of course, we already knew that. Scott has more integrity and credibility in his little finger than most people dream about having.

The WOM blog deserves all of the kudos that it is receiving today. Michelle and Scott sure know how to draw engaged and astute people around them.

Keep up the good work. Show them how a small group of committed people can change the world.

Gloria Ferris

20 Nov 07 at 3:01 PM

9. Gloria this made me tear up too – on the one hand how wonderful to have all those good memories. But it’s so hard to lose a pet. I had a siberian husky named Naklik (Naki normally or if I was stern, her full name lol) for 14 years and after she died I just never had the heart to get another pet. Maybe some day. I’m sorry for your loss, happy for all the good family times with Oatmeal, and so glad you shared the story.

Carole Cohen

21 Nov 07 at 8:35 PM

10. Hey guys, sorry for your loss. Somehow got here through the endless google highway. 😀

showed the story to my 7 year old and he’s bent on naming the dog or puppy I promised him soon Oatmeal. Ironically he hates real oatmeal. But I agree it’s a very cute and funny name he says. Fantastic poem also.

Oatmeal may not be able to be replaced, and may have imitations(haha), but we never forget a single tiny detail of our companions, and it teaches us to love again. take care

Bob Arctor